Sunday, April 3, 2011

Some Thoughts about the Earthquake, Tsunami and Nuclear Plant Emergency

I feel a little strange about moving on with the blog until something is said about the continuing struggle that Japan is enduring.

As you all know, on March 11, Japan was hit by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake subsequently resulting in a major tsunami and setting off a detrimental chain of events at Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant 1 and 2. The government has named the disaster the "Great Eastern Japan Earthquake" (日本大震災 Higashi Nihon Daishinsai). I don't think I have to list all the numbers and statistics.

Fortunately for us, we were and still are completely out of harm's way. It feels surreal to read and watch the news. Life is just the same as it was before. There's no shortage of food, no power outages, no panic. Perhaps the only inconvenience we've noticed is the lack of batteries. I know that there are ongoing problems with the nuclear plant but please don't worry too much about us. We are safe where we are. When our neighbors begin to panic, then we'll reassess our situation.

Though we are not physically affected by the disaster, I am heartbroken by the devastation in Tohoku. I wish I could do more to help. I have given what I can to the relief efforts and am joining a walkathon to raise more. In case you want to donate as well here's a good link.

The Japanese spirit says that we should all accept what has happened and work together now to move beyond it. There is no pity party, no dwelling on things lost. They are stoic and courageous in this disaster and I think we can learn quite a few things from their reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment