Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Since I realized today that today would be the only evening Ryan and I would be just sitting at home, I decided to make Thanksgiving dinner.

For starters we had kabocha soup (japanese pumpkin).
I forgot to add the roasted corn to this!

I made creamed onions and dressing as sides. (I almost didn't make dressing because I didn't have stale bread but lo and behold, the bakery at the supermarket had stale bread!)


Yes, that IS my rice cooker! I made dressing in a rice cooker!


For the main dish I made tofu stuffed with seasoned rice and mushroom gravy.
Here's the whole spread:


This is my well organized plate:

This is what Ryan put on his plate (his second or third plate):


And here's Ryan shoveling food into his mouth!


And for dessert I made sweet potato cakes but I'm too lazy to take pictures of those right now. Whew. It's time for sleep! I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out especially since it was basically the first time I've ever made any of these things and I mostly just made stuff up as I went along- the great Thanksgiving experiment!

I am thankful that lunch is pretty much already made for tomorrow, that Ryan is a good dishwasher, that we are safe, sound and supremely happy in Sapporo together, and that even though I am very far away from my dear family and friends, I know that I can always count on them and that they are at home in my heart always wherever I am. Oh gosh, the food is definitely getting to my head.

Have a happy thanksgiving, America! I will be here...trying to teach 3 year olds about pilgrims and indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment