Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's been a while...

I feel like there's so much to update on! However for this post, I'm going to keep it short.

First of all, we want to say "ありがとう ございました!!" to Professor Mary Diaz who sent us some goodies from America!
Yum!!! I think we finished most of them that night. I'm just saving the M&Ms for cookies.
(I hope this gives you other readers some ideas...our address is Kita 24 Jo Nishi 6 Chome, 2-15-401, Kita-ku Sapporo, Hokkaido 001-0024 Japan)

And this is where we get all our mail:


Our trusty mailbox!! Things aren't so different in Japan, eh?
I don't know if you can read it clearly on the box but I wrote my first name wrong in katakana.
A prize to whoever can comment with the correct spelling!

Also:

It's been snowing in Sapporo!!
I know that doesn't seem exciting but it is because previously it was just cold rain.
Here's some snow falling outside our apartment:


Snow means じょせつ (josetsu)!! (And josetsu is snow shoveling)
This is a picture of the snow shoveling supply room in the apartment building.

Each apartment takes turns shoveling snow-
every two days, the responsibility moves on to the next apartment.
We actually haven't had much snow accumulation. Sometimes in the morning and the evenings there's a thin layer of snow on the ground but during the day it melts.

Snow also means SKIING!!! Well, not much to report on this front- we haven't been out skiing yet. I did get my bindings placed on my skis and got a "chune up" at the shop too. Hopefully we'll be skiing this weekend.

And that's it for now- more updates soon!

I'll leave you with an image of our favorite fruit:
かき (kaki)


2 comments:

  1. I'd like to take an uneducated stab at your maibox mishap. I think the character after the "e" is wrong. It looks like the character for "ji", but should be the one for "ne", which I believe is this one.

    Oh boy, hope I win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valiant effort, Luke Schordine! The character after "e" is actually "n"...it looks similar and it's a poor picture. What my mailbox says is ジャエン = "ja-e-n"...The way my name is spelled on just about everything else is ジエーン = "ji-e-n"....hm...both sound right i guess. please note the "e" in Japanese is the short "e" sound found in a word like "get." also if you changed the last character in my name to the one for "ne" the pronunciation would be "ja-e-ne"...which is cute, i guess. oh, are you being cute? ^_^

    ReplyDelete