Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 1 Natto Experiment

Today I had natto for breakfast and guess what?! I LOVED it! I don't know why my first time was so bad. Here is my breakfast: rice, natto and tea with milk.


Inside the natto cup:


Pulling up the cover:


Feast your eyes on this sticky natto!!


Then you stir your natto around, add the soy sauce and mustard and BAM!




Place it all on top of your rice and itadakimasu!


I guess during my first experience with natto, I was completely consumed by its aroma. To say it smells bad is an understatement. I don't think I will ever smell natto and say "mmmMMMmm!" This morning the natto didn't smell as bad. At least I wasn't as put off as the first time. Maybe the remnant of my cold is still dulling my sense of smell.

Another obstacle is its texture. It is very sticky and stringy and the more you stir it the more sticky it gets. This does not bother me that much actually. I think I rather enjoy its texture and stringiness. After I was done eating I did have to wash my face because I felt like all the little strands were sticking to my mouth and chin. That was a little gross.

As for the flavor, it IS strong but I found it very tasty! The beans seemed to have retained a slightly sweet bean-y flavor on the inside and had a sort of...well, indescribable flavor on the outside. It tasted like natto! It tastes earthy, I guess. I will try to think about the flavor a little more tomorrow morning.

Now I'm dreaming about natto sandwiches...

No comments:

Post a Comment